Wednesday, September 14, 2022

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #522: METALLICA VS MEGADETH








 To all three of you who read the Zimventures, you know all about D-Dolla', who is based on a real person. He is one of those people who believes, with all his heart, that you can only like either Metallica or Megadeth. This is, of course, a stupid belief. It is familiar, though, as a lot of people seem to think that way. I am of the firm opinion that you can like both bands, that there is no need to pick sides. D-Dolla' loves Metallica and hates Megadeth. We used to work together at a place called Conference Plus, which sadly no longer exists. I decided to feed into his bullshit just to fuck with him, so I would always take Megadeth's side.


It was an easy POV to argue from because for the longest time, and I apologize to Metallica because I really do like them, but they sucked for quite a bit. I started seeing them pull out of it a bit with Death Magnetic, but at the time it just wasn't good enough to top Megadeth's albums. Megadeth put out more albums and they were all better than anything Metallica did after And Justice for All and before their latest.


D-Dolla' is no longer a friend (or even an acquaintance). He cut me and just about everyone else he knew at Conference Plus out of his life. It's a shame because when Metallica released Hardwired . . .  To Self-Destruct, it was actually better than Megadeth's Dystopia. D-Dolla' only ever once got the best of me in nearly ten years of knowing him, and I'm sure he would have found pleasure in getting one over on me again. I would have fully admitted that Dystopia just couldn't beat Hardwired . . . if only he hadn't excommunicated me from his life.


Ah well. Megadeth, in proper Megadeth form, put out yet another new album, and it kicks ass. I'd say it's about equal with Hardwired. My favorite song is probably "Mission to Mars." Maybe it's a little nerdy for a metal song, but I dig it, even the groan-inducing part where they reference "Rust in Peace." If you're looking for something that sounds a bit closer to classic Megadeth, I'd advise you to listen to "Dogs of Chernobyl," which is a lot of fun. For something a bit more lively, I really enjoyed "Life in Hell." 


So there you go. Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment