Wednesday, May 26, 2021

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #359: CONTROLLING GRAVITY

 So I was watching one of the new episodes of Creepshow, and a character came up with a revolutionary way to control gravity. One of the very first things that occurred to me was how stupid that comment was. But maybe I'm the idiot. I'm no physics scholar, but I have enough of an understanding to write SF tales where I acknowledge the rules and then ignore them in favor of story. So maybe I'm wrong.


To the best of my understanding, gravity isn't just a thing that can be controlled. It's the very fabric that holds the entire universe together, right? The reason that astrogation is possible is because you can predict where your destination will be due to the knowledge of where it was the last time you checked. Gravity causes that, right?


Gravity isn't just what goes up will come down. Without gravity there would be no orbit, no revolving or revolutions. It's a force that keeps everything together and moving the way it should. So controlling gravity should be as impossible as being able to control which path a drop of water will take rolling down your hand, right?


I hate to say that most of my understanding of Chaos Theory comes from Jeff Goldblum, but it kinda does. I've looked into it a bit, and while I'm smarter than the average bear, I'm not a genius. I could grasp a few things, but not everything.


So am I pissing into the wind when I say that gravity is something that can't be controlled? I hope one of you reading this is a scientist. Like, a real one instead of people who theorize online. I'd genuinely like to know. And if you can answer this, I'd like to know your credentials. Not that I don't trust you, but you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment