Monday, July 28, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #22: I AM A HARD-ASS

Some of you may be aware that I'm an editor at StrangeHouse Books right now. That's kind of new, public-wise, but I've been doing this for longer than expected at SHB. Waaaaay longer than expected.


Sean Ferrari, who is the main editor at SHB, knows that I'm a hard-ass. I never vote for anything 100%. If I liked a piece, I will normally say, "I vote maybe, leaning toward yes." Just ask Sean, and he'll tell you, I'm not fucking around.


There is only one thing I've ever said 100% "yes" to, and sadly, I was in the hospital at the time. I was reading the book, but in the exact middle, my pancreas failed me, and I had to be hospitalized for a week. While I was in there, I missed out on the decision. When I got out and finished the novel, (and I should mention it helped me recover, since it was the first thing I read after I got out of the hospital, despite the fact that I was reading something by Brian Keene at the time, since he--and Joe R. Lansdale--can get me through anything) I told Sean that I would 100% agree with publishing this one book. The decision had already been made, so my vote was moot, but ask him, and he'll say yes, he received confirmation from me after the fact.


(He asked me for clarification for himself, and advice for K.M. Tepe, so at the time. I said I was happy with the book as it is. The only thing I said contrary toward acceptance was that she made stylistic decisions that I never would, but I was OK with that. Unsurprisingly, Tepe's book was published quickly after that. And you should all read it immediately.)


I've been an editor with SHB for a while now, but the other two I've given my blessing to came with heavy conditions. One I know was eventually rejected. The other is still in limbo. But the only one I've given 100%-yes to? I'm glad to say that the author in question has had her book published by SHB.


I'm so glad SLAUGHTERTOWN CIRCUS by K.M. Tepe is doing so well. Even better than my own book, according to tonight's vidcast. She deserves it. I wish I could say I had something to do with that success, but I didn't get my vote into SHB in time. Fuck you, pancreas. She is one of the three geniuses I've met thanks to my association with SHB. I hope to meet more in the future.


If you're not familiar with this book and author, go here. SC will blow your mind. I hate books about clowns, but Tepe got to me, despite my preconceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment