Monday, July 14, 2014

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #8: ONE WEEK AND GOING STRONG

To be honest, when I started doing this Goodnight, Fuckers thing, I didn't expect much of a response. I figured I might get five of you who were up late enough to read these posts. I've been doing this for a week, and a shocking amount of you have been reading them. I appreciate you all. Thank you for reading. I guess this means I'll have to be more self-conscious when I write them . . . or fuck that. I've gone a good portion of my life without giving a fuck what people thought of me. Why should I start now?


In all reality, this has been a very good thing for me. There are some days when I don't get my 2,000-word writing target. I rarely fall too short--maybe by a couple hundred words--and this always seems to fill that gap. Or maybe I do make my goal and even more. This is the icing on that particular cake.


It pains me to admit it, but there are nights when I don't get ANY writing done . . . and this blog is the balm in Gilead that helps me sleep at night.


But never mind all of that. This column holds a special place in my heart because it is the most honest writing I have done. My Everyone's Got One columns are 100% honest, but to be fair, I take time to construct them. I mean everything I say, but I write them and I edit them, and sometimes that takes a while. Sometimes I sit on a column for a couple of weeks. Sometimes, a whole month.


Goodnight, Fuckers is written on the fly. I pour my brain out onto the keyboard, and I post it without a second thought, even if I'm drunk. The last two were done under the influence of alcohol. I don't know if that helps my case or not. I'll leave that up to you. But these eight columns are probably the closest I've ever come to gonzo journalism. I know it's not the same. If it was, I'd be reporting these things as they happened. However, in my case I have these emotional and intellectual moments, and I report them right away as I feel them. And that is pretty close to the definition.


I hope to have more of these moments for you, since you obviously like them. I haven't missed a night yet, despite drinking, so I'm pretty sure I'll be back tomorrow night with another Goodnight, Fuckers. Until then, don't do anything I wouldn't. (That doesn't leave much, I know, so have some fun, you crazy fuckers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment