Tuesday, January 31, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #607: 200


 

It's my 200th day from booze, and while I was taking a break from writing GF columns, I found the first bottle of booze I ever drank.


Yeah, all right, I save weird things sometimes. I'm a pubic hair's width away from being a hoarder, and I guess my discovery of whiskey had enough of an effect on me that I knew I'd want to remember the bottle that started it all.


Except the whole thing got out of hand pretty badly. I've gone over that before, so I won't ramble about it again. Suffice to say that I don't think I became an alcoholic until my mid-thirties. I bought this bottle in my early twenties. I might still have been in college at the time.


Look at that! Only six faces on the label! Booker Noe was still the distiller back then. That would be the guy Booker's is named after, and that is my actual favorite whiskey in the world. Wild Turkey 101 is my favorite that I can afford. Booker's probably goes for $80 a bottle now.


Jim Beam was my choice back then because that was Gramps's favored drink (since no one could ever make a Manhattan to his satisfaction). Near the end of my boozing days I recognized how out of control things were getting. I was drinking Canadian whiskey that I bought at five bucks a handle, for Christ's sake. I made the decision that I would never drink anything cheaper than Beam. A lot of drinkers scorn the Beam choice, but it's fairly inexpensive, and it gets the job done.


Although if I could afford better, I usually got that instead.


I miss booze, but I'm a rare alcoholic who actually enjoys the taste. This seems like heresy, but I'm wondering if there are any non-alcoholic bourbons out there. That might be nice to look into.


Anyway, my next stop on the no booze wagon train is my year mark. Let's see if I can get there.













































This man has no idea how awesome he's going to be in Zardoz.


No comments:

Post a Comment