Monday, March 13, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #636: ADAS

 ADAS stands for Advanced Driving Assistance Systems. They're things like lane keep assist, forward collision alert, pedestrian avoidance, etc. They're fairly new in the grand scheme of things, and when I went to buy my new car I was hoping to not get any of these things because if I needed my windshield replaced, I would also need to get it recalibrated. Hondas usually need static or dual recals, and those are almost always done in shop and take super long to do.


But there weren't a lot of options, so now I have ADAS on my car.


It's a little amusing because I have forward collision alert. It makes a big light on your dashboard say BRAKE if it looks like you're going to crash into something. Mine is a bit sensitive. You know how you coast to the back of the vehicle in front of you at a red light? That, for some reason, kicks off the forward collision alert. I think that if I have my foot on the brake, and I'm already coming to a stop, maybe this alert shouldn't be going off. I couldn't possibly be going more than 5 mph, and that's giving myself a lot of credit.


Another funny thing I've noticed is how the traffic sign recognition works. It identifies the speed limit and displays it on my dashboard. But it's not foolproof. It can't tell the difference between regular speed limit and school zone speed limits, so even if it's 2 am near a school, it tells me the speed limit is 20, even though I know it's 35, for example.


And it seems to not be able to differentiate between speed limit signs and others. I was going down a street where I knew the limit was 45, but it told me that it was actually 90. I thought, what the fuck? And then I realized I was driving by the ramp to get onto I90. I was also driving on Higgins, where it's 45, but my car told me it was 70. It took me a little longer to figure this one out. Higgins is also known as Highway 72. So I guess the ADAS rounds down . . .


As far as I know I don't have pedestrian avoidance, but if I did, considering my experience with these others, I wouldn't rust that feature as far as I could throw this vehicle. I know no system is perfect, but this is kind of fucked up. There is no way I would trust my life to ADAS. I can't imagine the horror of being in a self-driving vehicle.


Maybe these things should be tested thoroughly before being rolled out to the general population . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment