Monday, August 7, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #721: TMI

 There aren't a lot of cool things about being me, but there are a few, and they're pretty solid. One of my favorite things about me is something I share with Chuck Palahniuk.


A while back I wrote about meeting him for the first time (I've seen him twice). He told a story, which I'm not going to go into again, about how people view him as someone they can tell their weirdest and dirtiest and sickest secrets. He supposes it's because he wrote "Guts." If he could write a story like that, there's no way he's going to judge these other people.


It's tempting to say that people are the same way with me because I wrote something like Dong of Frankenstein, but it's honestly been this way all my life. Perhaps it's the way I conduct myself? Or maybe I just have a trusting face? Whatever it is, people will tell me the weirdest things about themselves. The dirtiest things. The sickest things. And I won't ever tell anyone else. I won't even mine it for writing material, although a lot of times I wish I could. People will confess things to me that they would never, under any circumstances, tell anyone else. Sometimes not even their spouses. Often times they're 100% sober.


It's an oddball gift, and I'm here for it. I'd give examples but, well, you know. It's stuff like this that makes this whole existence thing worthwhile at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment