Wednesday, August 9, 2023

GOODNIGHT, FUCKERS #723: I MET CHUCK TINGLE


 

Of all my GF readers, I'd wager that I might have one of you who has never heard of Chuck Tingle, but definitely not another. I heard he was going to be in Naperville at Anderson's, so naturally I had to be there. And the one thing I can say that stands out about Chuck is that he's an absolute showman.


At most signings the author will talk a little bit. Read an excerpt. Take questions. But that's not good enough for Chuck. He put on a show the likes of which I've not seen since I went to the signing of another Chuck, that author being Palahniuk.


Chuck Tingle put together an amazing slideshow, and at one point he said he was going to reveal his face only to show a picture of Chris Pine. The next slide said that he is definitely 100% not Chris Pine. Since his new book is a horror novel instead of an erotic Tingler, he decided to look at the dating profiles of slashers. Jason, Pinhead, Ghostface, Michael Myers and Leatherface were the ones he explored, and then he had us guess which dating apps each one was on. At the end of this one he had us all vote for who we would most want to date. I wish Freddy had been up there. If I was going to go after the slasher of my dreams . . . It was a tie between Pinhead and Ghostface. If I had to choose (and I did), I'd have to go with Pinhead.


My favorite of the games was Three Tinglers and a Lie. There are four rounds. Each round has three real Chuck Tingle titles and one that he made up (and he says that he'll have to change it up for the next tour because he might very well write the lies). I'm proud to say that I made it through all rounds. There was no technical winner, but my instincts are good.


Then I got to meet the man himself. Ordinarily I would not pose for a picture with someone I'm meeting in such a way. I prefer memories over pictures. But hell, if I told you I'd met Chuck Tingle, would you have believed me?


Would you?


I don't know how much of his tour he has left, but if you have the chance to meet him, don't pass it up!


Also, no, it was not chilly. Yes, I was excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment